Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Learning the Hard Way

I started martial arts as a boy. In college, I taught as a supplement to my income and paid what college expenses weren't covered by my scholarship with the proceeds. That class started as a specialty class for home-schooled students in the Chattanooga, TN area. It grew until we needed a real space, so I was able to secure local churches for a while. The class grew too big to be held in churches, and the students were no longer home-schoolers, so a new, larger location was needed - and I contacted a local YMCA to make the transfer.

At the time, I was still in college, not yet 21 years old. One father-son tandem joined us. The dad, Ken, was unlike many of the other parents in that he demonstrated a real desire to help. He was always assisting in cleanup before and after class, as well as with other odds and ends.

As we transitioned into the YMCA, it was necessary for me to put together a business plan and organize things beyond a mere home-schoolers' gathering. The YMCA wanted to see a real mission statement as well as lesson plans and a curriculum. Lesson plans and curriculum was easy - I just had to type out what I'd kept in my head all along.

The idea of a mission statement and a purpose for the dojo was the hard part for me at the time. Ken seemed to have a good amount of common sense and real world experience, so I asked him to help. Our brainstorming session was... less than spectacular. Here is the conversation, as per my notes:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ken: First we need to have a stated purpose. You've mentioned before that keeping things Christ-centered is a priority.

Me: Yes. Very much so.

Ken: Then it would make sense to take the focus off of "self" and put the focus on Jesus Christ as part of the mission statement and purpose.

Me: Sounds good. So how do we come up with a mission statement?

Ken: Well, first, let's state your goal. 

Me: My ultimate goal for these karate classes is to teach self defense. 

Ken: OK. But we want to get the emphasis off of "self."

Me: (fumbling a bit here) OK. Ummm... personal protection?

Ken: I see. Still sounds a bit "self"-oriented. 

Me: Well, I guess it is. (still fumbling) I don't know how to say "self-defense" without having the concept of "self" in there.

Ken: Well, have you thought that maybe you should change the goal?

Me: Possibly. I cannot think of anything karate can do that does not build the student. That is the focus. Is it possible that we build the person up, without focusing on the "self" and with the focus on Jesus Christ?

Ken: Luke 9:23 says: "If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me." To follow Christ is to deny the self. It is impossible to have any sort of self-centered mentality and at the same time be Christ-centered. 

At this point, a lightbulb hits. One that I use to this day!

Me: I see. Let me think on this a while. It is very important, and I want to get it right. I'll call you back in a day or two. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ken agreed to this plan. I did not, however, call him back. I realized that this exercise was pointless. Ken was so caught up in his interpretation of scripture, that he failed in the big picture. 

I came up with a stated goal and a mission statement on my own. It was about teaching karate for self defense and building up the character of the students. To be fair, I leaned toward the building up of "others" (the students) as opposed to the "self." However, the term "self defense" was all over my mission statement and objective. 

Ken and his son made the switch from the church to the YMCA, but they had to leave less than a year later as his job moved him. He never mentioned our planning session again. Nowadays, if I consult others for advice on an issue facing my dojo, I offer possible answers, and usually keep it to an "either/or" scenario.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.