Thursday, March 17, 2022

Prepping Considerations 3

 A recent conversation with a reader of this blog gave rise to the need to update some information. Clearly, guns and shooting are a major source of enjoyment for me and have been for many years. Often, those who shoot find themselves in prepper communities, and I am no different. At this point, I have taken dozens of firearms classes, and taught over 100 live fire classes. So this week, posts will center around my suggestions for guns and equipment for SHTF. 

Day 3 - Rigs

My primary chest rig is a Helikon Tex Micro Rig. This rig holds 4 AR mags, and has 4 pouches for pistol mags and tools. It has a med pouch, as well as a main pouch. Very comparable to most micro rigs on the market. 

A secondary rig I own and train with is a Tasmanian Tiger MKII chest rig. It has 5 AR mag pouches. I have added to the MOLLE a pair of pistol mag pouches. It has two side pouches - one I use for medical, and the other for general tools. 

Another rig I own and train with is an Army FLC ("Fighting Load Carrier"). This one has 6 AR mag pouches and 6 Pistol mag / tool pouches. It also has a pouch that I have attached for medical. The advantage to this rig over the other two is that I can customize it. The disadvantage is that I can customize it. 

The micro rig and the Tasmanian Tiger are my favorites. At one point, I used a VooDoo Tactical chest rig. That rig was my favorite for a LONG time. It had a couple of drawbacks:
* pistol mag pouches poorly located, and couldn't take larger mags. 
* Small pouch in front for medical. 
* Waist buckle got in the way and clanked into my pistol. 
The Tasmanian does 90% of what the VooDoo did, without the drawbacks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.