Saturday, January 24, 2015

Libertarian on Abortion

Recently, on a Facebook friend's thread, there was discussion about abortion, murder, and the government's role in defining and punishing each.

Myself and a couple of others chimed in with Libertarian points of view. My friend was the originator of the thread and keeps to a more conservative view.

At one point, my friend asks the difference between abortion and murder. His clear standpoint is that he could never embrace the Libertarian party because they do not strongly oppose abortion.

Yet, I personally strongly oppose abortion. I feel abortion is murder. Why, then, do I have no problem voting Libertarian or identifying as such? Could it be that I really don't put much emphasis on it as perhaps I should? Maybe I really think abortion is ok? Or perhaps I am willing to "look the other way" on this issue to agree with the bigger picture represented by the Libertarian party and point of view?

I think each of those possibilities has a degree of validity except for the hint that I might think abortion is ok. That one is clearly not my opinion. Here is my rationale:

Emphasis
When I was young, abortion was one of the foremost issues in my mind. I still think it's murder. But I do not see abortion laws being changed in the US anytime soon.

Illegal =/= impossible to get
The fact is that even if we made abortion illegal,  people would still get abortions. It would not curb the slaughter much, if at all. Sad, but true.

Government = INEPT
Getting the government to define anything correctly, much less regulate it fairly and equally, is an impossibility. That's the main reason I think abortion is too important an issue for the government to have any control of it.

What about murder?
Thank you for making my point!
Have you ever seen the government incarcerate the wrong person for murder?
Have you ever seen the government prosecute the wrong person for murder?
Have you ever seen the government punish the wrong person for murder?
Have you ever seen an actual murderer go free thanks to inept government?

The answer is "YES" to all of these. And it happens every day. All of these miscarriages of justice happen daily.

Summary
That's why I no longer support the death penalty (I like the concept, but I do not trust the government to carry it out correctly).

That's why I cannot support any governmental regulation of abortion. I wish it was illegal, but I cannot trust the government to regulate it properly.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post.
    I follow your blog daily and this is one of your better entries lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post.
    I follow your blog daily and this is one of your better entries lately.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.