Monday, March 8, 2010

A couple of reflections on legal carry...

As my career search winds down, I reflected today on some facts of legal carry of firearms - specifically concealed carry as it relates to job interviews, and open carry in my immediate future.

First:
I had another holdout interview. It is not likely I will take that position, but I did not know that until I attended the interview. I carried concealed today - as I have on every interview since being laid off back in November, save two.

The two interviews I did not carry were one in Milwaukee, WI, back in December; and in Rochester, NY at the end of February. Wisconsin does not provide for concealed carry, and I am unsure if a non-resident can open-carry. Plus, I wanted the job, and flying with firearms is a pain in the neck - so my GLOCK stayed home. New York does not reciprocate with Tennessee as far as carry permits are concerned, and once again, flying with firearms is a pain.

Otherwise, I carried in every interview I went on. I have another holdout interview Wednesday and I will carry there (I already know the property does not post).

I wonder if anybody knew?

The GLOCK hides really nicely inside my waistband and under the suit coat.

I wonder if any of the interviewers would view me differently if they knew I was carrying?


---

Second:
Tonight, I have plans to meet up with Right Minded at Starbucks. He wants me to open carry, so that we can test the recent decision by Starbucks corporate to allow persons carrying legally to do so in their restaurants.

I've never been to Starbucks. I have had several of their coffees - all of them were quite tasty.

I have open-carried, but I usually reserve that for Wal-Mart of for appropriate political rallies.

I wonder what is going on in Right Minded's mind right now? Is he excited? Nervous? Curious? I know he is a true friend to the 2nd Amendment, though not as excited about "boomsticks" as I have been reported to be.

Will this be the last straw that pushes Right Minded to get his carry permit? Take his son shooting?

Will we have an uneventful evening and will he be underwhelmed? (Likely - at least the "uneventful" part... I hope!)

What will he post about after the fact? I am sure a lot of that will depend on what happens tonight. Or what doesn't.

Most people don't realize that 99.99% of the time people carry, nothing happens. It's that other small portion, however, that tends to make news.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.