Friday, March 4, 2022

Part of the Job 5

From a reader:
"What is something that nobody outside your job would know is part of your job?"

This is such a good question, that it will have a 5-part answer - one for each day this week. 

Part 5 - From Car Rental. 

If you want to have a good laugh, or get the inside track about what it was like working at Enterprise, check out the Facebook Page, "Things I learned at Enterprise." They are spot-on. 

One of those things that a number of people learn in many different industries, is something I learned at Enterprise. At one location, a car came up on a report and the renter owed thousands of dollars. I checked it and double-checked it. Very little information in the system - except that the Area Manager had written that contract. 

Involving the Branch Manager was my next step. We worked on it together, and it took a while to devise a course of action. We had to confront that Area Manager. But if we did it directly, it would likely cost us our jobs. There was a reason he was hiding it. The name of the renter was female. Her age was fairly young - significantly younger than his wife of nearly 10 years at the time. And we saw her once a little while later, and learned she was a "dancer" at a local area strip club.

We decided to take the information to another Area Manager. He agreed to ask about it, and he did. The following day, our Area Manager handed my boss a bunch of cash, with instructions not to ask, just to deposit it. The young female's rental was extended another month or so. It as VERY clear what was happening. 

Four months later, for reasons not pertaining to this information, this Area Manager had a hand in my firing from the company. And yet, I have still kept this secret. 21 years I've kept it. 

Should I reveal?

1 comment:

  1. "And yet, I have still kept this secret. 21 years I've kept it."

    Why keep the secret? You don't owe him any more loyalty than he showed you.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.