Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Race for the Grades

This is part 1 of a 2-part post. When I was in college, I still lived at home. This brought about some interesting situations. Particularly with a mom who was a major-league shit-tester. One of those things is that my mother was incessant about seeing our report cards. 

One might point out that for a minor child, the parent has a right to see the report card. This is true, and is enshrined in the FERPA act passed in 1974. However, When a student turns 18 years old or enters a postsecondary institution at any age, all rights afforded to a parent under FERPA transfer to the student, with only a handful of possible "workarounds." 

When mail would come at the end of the semester, it was often a race to the mailbox to get the report card. I won more often than not. But not always. Some days, one simply cannot be there because of other commitments. 

Yes, she would open mail addressed to me. 

She did the same with my siblings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.