Friday, November 16, 2012

On Paper

Some time ago, I posted an article about a Range Safety Officer who thought if you zero an AR15 at 25 yards, then you won't even be on paper at 100 yards. While the story is funny, and I posted links showing why he was totally wrong, I was challenged by a reader to do a scientific experiment to prove this man right or wrong.

So I did.

On a recent range trip, I took a basic AR15 - set up as an M16A2 clone - and decided to put this whole thing to the test.

First, I made sure it was zeroed at 25 yards:

With the 8/3 setting.


Second, I took the rifle to 100 yards, and fired a three-shot group.
I clicked the rifle down to the 100-yard zero (8/3 - 3 clicks) and fired.
The top of the dark circle was my point of aim.

Considering the 100-yard distance, the iron sights, and the cheap barrel and ammo, I'd say this 2 MOA group was pretty good.

The first three shots are labeled "1."

Also please note that I needed to take about 2 clicks left windage to be square on target. Fair. Still, that's a darn close zero coming from 25 yards, directly to 100 yards.

Yes, the target was on its side. The orientation below was correct for up and down.



Third, I went back to 100 yards, and set the iron sights on 8/3. Remember, this is an M16A2 clone - meaning it has a fixed carry handle with coarse 1 MOA adjustments. You can see I still needed to take 2 clicks of left windage to be on the dot.

In case you cannot tell, the inner rings in the black are 1" wide. The 7-ring and 6-ring are 1.5" wide. Looks about 3" high to me, and certainly not off paper.

Then I got an idea!

Fourth, just to prove a point, I moved back. Way back. There was another shooter, and he actually helped me come up with the idea. At that range, one could shoot from a pretty good distance. So I did.

I gave the sights two clicks of left windage. I figured I'd need it.

I did a quick range estimation. I estimated I was shooting from 400 yards. My fellow shooter's range finder dialed 396 yards. I will not argue it. At that range, each click of the knob adjusts the sight such that the bullet impact moves 4 inches. I set my sights to 8/3 + 3 clicks up in elevation. That is the 400-yard setting. It is indicated with a "4" on the elevation dial.

I aimed at what I thought would be the middle of the paper (couldn't really see it). My fellow shooter's man-sized silhouette looked to be half the width of my front sight post. My shot was taken from a sitting position. There was no sling in use, though I had it with me, in case I felt it would be needed. I did not rest the rifle. Just an ordinary sitting position.

The shot is the one marked with an "X."


Things learned:
1. I really like the USMC 300-yard battle sight zero. With a 300-yard zero, the bullet will be within 5" of the point of aim all the way out to 350 yards. Three clicks up on a 8/3 sight, and you are on the mark at 400 yards. I know this now without a doubt!

2. I really like the RIBZ. It allows me to have a precise point of aim = point of impact at ranges less than 300 yards. Here is a short list of approximates when using a 20" barrel:
- 25 yards - use (8/3 + 2).
- 25 yards with a carbine - use (8/3) or (6/3)
- 50 yards - use (8/3 - 2) to be within a half inch.
- 100 yards - use (8/3 - 3).
- 200 yards - use (8/3 - 2).

3. You can shoot to 400 yards in mild wind with cheap 55-grain ammo and a 1:9 twist government profile barrel in a $557 AR15. A rifleman is up to the task. Are you?

4. Walking 400 yards to check a target after each shot would tire many people out quickly. (That distance is nearly 1/4 of a mile)

5. Sighting your AR in at 25 yards is not going to mean you are off paper at 100. In fact, it is an excellent starting point to obtain a 100-yard, and then a 300+ yard zero.

6. I'd still rather have a scope of some sort at that range.

7. Don't believe what you hear. Investigate and experiment. Look it up. Likely chance someone else investigated before you. At the least, you will have a good place to start.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.