Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Funny Range Time

If you've ever been to a public range - especially one with paid range safety officers - then you can relate to this story.

A couple of years ago, I was at just such a range, zeroing my AR-15 Carbine for an Appleseed shoot. Since most Appleseed shooting is done at 25 meters, I decided to zero at 25 yards - a very similar distance, and one that this range actually provided.

Part of the way through, a Range Safety Officer came up to me and asked if I was zeroing low (as is common at short range when one is later going to zero at a farther distance). I told him exactly what I was doing and why.

His response: "You won't be on paper at 100 yards."

WTF???

I had no intention of shooting at 100 yards. I would be shooting at a little over 27 yards (which is 25 meters). Not only that, but military doctrine on the M4 platform (of which my AR-15 is a clone) is to zero at 25 yards, as this provides a 300-yard zero (or pretty close) as well.

I thanked him and went on my way, and established a good zero soon thereafter.

As I was packing up to leave, this conversation happenend:

RSO: "Did you get it zeroed?"

Usagi: "Yes, sir! Thank you."

RSO: "At what distance?"

WTF does it matter? Who cares?

Usagi: "25 yards."

RSO: "You won't be on paper at 100 yards."

"Usagi: "I know. Thank you."

RSO: "Just wanted to make sure you knew."

Usagi: "I know. Thank you. Have a great afternoon."

-----

Now, beyond the idiocy, let's also analyze the little white lie I told him by "agreeing" that I would not be on paper at 100 yards.

To prove my point, here is a ballistic calculator, plug in the data, and see for yourself. I was using Silver bear 55 grain ammo. Link to some velocity tables.

Also, one could determine the facts by actually shooting at the real distance (which I have) and measuring how high the groups land (here's a hint: about 3 inches high).

Also, one could sight in per the RIBZ method at 100 yards, then click up to the 6/3 setting: 6 clicks, which is a 3 MOA adjustment. This means your bullet will strike approximately 3 inches high at 100 yards. The same 6/3 setting is used when shooting at 25 yards on an M4 variant (an M16 uses the 6/3, plus two clicks).

No matter which way you research it, the numbers come out the same: about 3 inches high at 100 yards.

It is clear this RSO did not know what he was talking about. Keep that in mind, and do your own research.


.

2 comments:

  1. That RSO shoots at postage stamps, so by his standard, you would not have been on paper at 100 yards.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.