Friday, May 18, 2012

Where it starts

Someone asked me the other day via email where my distaste for Calvinism began. So here it is, and you will see that the origin of my distaste also explains why I dislike Calvinism.

I have been aware since childhood of the concept of predestination, the founding idiocy of 5-point Calvinism. My mother took great care in making sure that we knew doctrine - true and false - that we might have discernment. Additionally, my junior year Bible class did a segment on predestination: it was open discussion, with the teacher (who is now the Principal of the school) offering points and counterpoints to each side of the debate without revealing his personal beliefs.

But all of this was less than important to me for a great while. In fact, it was 1998 before I really gave predestination a thought again. Here's how it came about:

I attended UTC, and was active in the BSU. At the time, I actually taught a jiu-jitsu class at the BSU. Met many good friends there - many of whom I keep in contact with to this day. There was one young man, a freshman (I was a senior - this was fall of 1997) who took the jiu-jitsu class, and otherwise was quite friendly. One day, he didn't show up for any activities. Sometimes, that happened, though, and nobody thought anything of it.

This man, whom we shall call Tim*, did not show up again at the BSU for days, and then weeks. We asked one another about Tim. Nobody saw him in classes, or on campus, or at the BSU. Eventually, we figured he just went back home (he was from out of state). That assumption was wrong.

Tim showed up one day in the spring (now 1998). He had a smile that was as wide as could be. He explained that he had been diagnosed with severe kidney problems, and been forced to start dialysis. His illness had prevented him from returning to school back in the fall. However, he had a good treatment regimen and was enjoying the spring semester.

We were glad to see him, and he spent time talking with several people. This was a day when I only had a couple of classes, and waited around for my then-girlfriend (now wife) to finish her assignments so we could go home for the day since we carpooled.

Tim talked to different ones of us at different times. At one point, he started talking to me. He asked me what it felt like to "be chosen."

I asked for clarification. Tim asked me in return if I was "chosen."

"For what?" I asked.

Tim went on to explain how he believes that God chooses certain people for salvation. Since I was a Christian, and at a Christian organization, he figured I was one of these "chosen" people. I explained that I believe God gave man free will as was indicated multiple times in the Bible.

Tim talked on and on in return about predestination, and in the end, we agreed to disagree. He made the statement:
"It just makes me proud to say that God chose me, when He did not choose everybody."

The look on Tim's face was the same as the look on the rich kid's face in high school whose dad bought him the $30,000 sports car - pure arrogance and overflowing with pride. Pride that he as much as admitted to.

The difference between Tim and the rest of the Calvinists I've ever met: Tim was verbally honest about the pride. The rest act the same way, but verbally renounce the pride... hoping to take the conversation elsewhere.


* Not his real name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.