Monday, August 17, 2009

Another person is afraid

This story happened a few months ago. I was in Blockbuster, renting some movies at the time.

There was one other patron in the whole store, and I was aware (as I always am) that he is on the opposite side of the store. It was not long before I overheard him speaking in hushed tones to the worker behind the counter, who happened to be the same young lady as in this post.

I overhear the patron saying "that man over there has a gun on him!"

I checked my hip, and sure enough, my shirt had come up and been snagged behind my Glock in its holster, on my hip. Understand, though, that in Tennessee, it is legal to open carry or concealed carry - so long as one has a handgun carry permit. That's why we call it a "carry permit" rather than a "concealed carry permit," like some other states do.

I overhear more dialogue, back and forth as the male patron indicates my gun in its holster on my hip is making him uncomfortable.

Finally, the young lady behind the counter makes a suggestion: "how do you know he's not a cop or FBI?"

The man shrugs and takes that answer at face value. All the while, I am browsing movie titles.

Fast forward a few moments, the "evil" side of me takes over. This is the sarcastic Usagi. The "inyaface" Usagi. The Usagi I had all but trained out of me by age 27.

All but trained out of me.

I tucked my shirt in, all the way around. My Glock is now clearly exposed in its nice holster on my hip. I walk to the same section the man is browsing, and I start to browse - with my right (gun) hip facing the man as much as possible.

This whole time, he had thought I had not heard his conversation. He was wrong.

Finally, I stepped past him, while whispering so he could hear it plainly: "I am not Law Enforcement!"

I looked at a few more titles, made my final selection, and paid for my rentals.

The look on the man's face was a funny version of what I would call "shock and awe." I couldn't tell if it was more shocking that I had a gun and was not law enforcement, or that I had overheard his entire conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.