Friday, June 26, 2009

Repo Story 1

Setting: Summer 2001. I was working at what was then the largest branch of Enterprise Rent A Car in the state of Tennessee. I was the assistant manager (read: I got to do all the dirty work). This position - assistant manager at a large branch - was usually the launching point to get promoted to Branch Manager. I wanted that promotion.

That day, I was to make some sales calls with a new employee. His name was Mike. I do not give his last name for two reasons: I don't know if he would want me to do so, AND, I don't remember it. Mike was the All-American looking guy: blond hair, not too big, not too small, etc. I am not female, but I would imagine he did well with the ladies. Mike was fairly new to the company - having been employed less than thirty days at the time.

I knew that some of the calls would take us near the residence of a renter who at that time owed the company about $150. We could not reach her via phone. I had a spare key to the car in my pocket that whole day.

So we are riding along, having left a great sales call and on our way to the next, when I realize we are in the neighborhood of the renter in question. Now mind you, this was a fairly middle-class kind of neighborhood. Nice houses. Well-mowed yards, etc. Out of the blue, I asked Mike: "Say, have you ever been on a repo?"

Now mind you, Mike had only heard of repos, and never been on one. They were still the stuff of legend to him. We did not usually take the new guys on a repo until they had gotten their first paycheck. Then they were less likely to leave.

Mike replies: "No."

At this point, I notice Mike's hands trembling. And not the tremble in anticipation, either. This fella is scared. Quite possibly out of his mind. I felt sorry him.

But I also knew this could backfire as well. So I went over the two rules of repos with him:

1. Never leave until I do. (The car I'm going to repo could be out of gas or damaged and unable to start, or the spare key might not work)
2. Stay behind me on the way back to the branch. (The car I'm going to repo could be out of gas or damaged and unable to start, or the spare key might not work- do you see a trend here?)

Mike agrees to this. At least I think he agreed. His head went from a general spasm to a somewhat up and down motion... I think.

I get out of our car, walk up to the car in question, get in, turn it on, and drive out of the driveway.

To his credit, Mike fully obeyed Rule #1 and Rule #2.

I think the renter called later that afternoon to tell us the car had "been stolen." That must have been a fun conversation. I actually went back out, Mike in tow, to the sales calls. We closed a deal with an Allstate agent over lunch and had an excellent afternoon of sales calls.

Mike tells me at the end of the day that he had never been so "revved up" in his life.

This was actually one of the tame repos. Mike's reaction made it stick out in my mind.

PS - if you are Mike, and you happen to read this, please contact me, I'd love to talk to you & see how you are doing and where you are. I'd also like to learn your last name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.