Monday, February 12, 2024

Another "Good Riddance"

Some time back, while researching for another post, I came across a fact that I found interesting. First some of the back-story:

As has been mentioned countless times on this blog, I worked for a major car rental chain right out of college. My experience was standard, based upon the sharing of tales with others whom have also worked for this chain (there's a whole Facebook group that proves this). And, it was a good learning experience. Naturally, not all of it was good - there have been negative things about every employer I've ever had. 

One of those negative things was my 3rd manager at this company. I was at the same location where I started, and six months later, we were on our 3rd manager - the previous two having been promoted. While we got along, I noticed at the next payday that my check was surprisingly low. 

For context, we worked an average of 55-60 hours per week, and I was paid overtime for hours worked over 40 in a week. 

Well, my paycheck was seriously short - so the first thing I did was to check my hours. Perhaps I had forgotten to enter them into the computer? No, I'd entered those hours. But what showed in the computer was not at all what I had worked! For an entire week, it showed me coming in at 9:00 am and leaving at 4:30 pm - no more than 8 hours per day. For reference, we came in at 7:00 am and rarely left at closing - 6:00 pm. Often going until 7 or 8 pm. And it wasn't like my manager didn't know this - she carpooled with me to the office (it was 38 miles away)! 

So I took action - after submitting my hours the following pay period, I checked every morning and every afternoon for a week. Sure enough, I saw when my manager had changed them again! My first solution was to change them back to the accurate hours - and that worked. So I did this every week. Finally, after 6 weeks or so of this cat-and-mouse game, my manager confronted me: "are you changing your hours after I approve them?" was her question. 

"Yes, and if you would like to chastise me, then let's include HR as I have proof you were changing the hours to intentionally not include time when I was on the job - and that is illegal." was my reply. 

She did not have a reply for that, and we immediately discontinued car pooling. I was moved to another branch within weeks, and all was well in the world. When another Management Trainee started at her location, I reached out to that person privately and warned them. Sure enough - it happened to them, as well. 

Back to the main part of the story. 

So, I was conducting research for an article, and I came across this obituary. As I have stated before, in the words of Samuel Langhorne Clemens (Mark Twain), "I have never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure." And this was an obituary that gave me a measure of pleasure to read, as I despise thieves, cheats, and liars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.