Monday, September 5, 2022

We Lost One of the Best

This past Friday, September 2, the Tactical Response YouTube channel had a video wherein it was announced that firearms training icon James Yeager had passed away from ALS. In the video, James' daughter and friends pointed out that James' wish was not that people would make sad posts, but rather, tell funny and happy stories. So here is my story, and later, some thoughts on some of what has been posted online. 


January of 2016, the training coordinator and leader of Middle Tennessee 3%ers contacted me and asked if I could teach a marksmanship class to the group three months later in April 2016. I agreed and immediately started putting together a curriculum.

Partway through, I started having doubts. I was, in my mind, a "lowly civilian," and not worthy to teach guns because I never served in the military. But I saw a YouTube video by James Yeager detailing how his critics said that about him. He read off his resume. Impressive. He told the haters they could go "F" themselves.

The message in that video gave me the courage and inspiration to move forward and teach that class. 

Now you know the rest of the story.


Much has been posted about Yeager. A great deal of it in the past 2 days. 
  • Of course, there have been the obligatory "I didn't agree with all he did, but..." and those statements are as self-serving as the speaker would accuse Yeager of having been. 
  • Possibly the most hilarious are the comments about Yeager taking cover in a ditch during a firefight in the middle east. Funny thing - correct military doctrine is to "Return fire - take cover - return fire." These plebs perhaps suggest he ought to have stayed in a car (which is not cover) and died? Simply put, I have yet to see one real operator second-guess his actions. At "most" - a former infantry guy who probably never saw action. 
  • Some say "I didn't agree with all he said, but..." and I have this question. Please point to me a statement Yeager made that was wrong. I'll wait. 

The man was possibly the largest 2A advocate in our lifetime. He left a positive impact on me and all of those I train with and teach. Our world is lesser for his passing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.