Thursday, September 10, 2020

Life Changes 2

Tuesday, September 1 at noon, I was wheeled into an operating room. I was prepped and given anesthetic. 

The objective was to insert a tube up my arm via the artery in my wrist. This procedure used to go in at the groin, but new advances have made it possible to perform via the wrist. The groin area was prepped, just in case. 

The exploration revealed a blockage in one of the vessels on the heart, and a near blockage in another. Two stents were put in - one in each vessel. 

Halfway through the procedure, I awake, pop my head up, and say, "hey, guys, how is it going?" This understandably caused a bit of commotion. They asked if I was in pain - I wasn't. My wrist burned, and otherwise, I was fine. Except my left hand and both feet hurt from laying on the hard surface for so long. The next time I awoke, they were wheeling me to my room. The procedure was a success. 

The doctor put me on a chemical cocktail of meds - mostly blood thinners and blood pressure meds. This to protect the new stints. Although my blood pressure is and was normal, the meds also help with a protective action for my heart and organs. 

The cause was diabetes. A1C of 10.5. Uncontrolled blood glucose levels. For an extended period of time. Triglycerides were over 700. HDL (good) cholesterol was 17 (should be over 70). These are opposite of what is good for a person. This was caused by high blood glucose levels. 

I know how to control my blood sugar, I simply didn't. I ate carbs and grains for the better part of the last 5 years. I have paid for it. 

The fix is to be detailed next. Continued... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.