Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Life Changes 1

Monday evening, August 31, I came home after my son's football game. I sat down to dinner, and a few bites in, I became uncomfortable. There was a tightening in my chest. My upper back also became tight, as did my upper left arm. After finishing the food, I laid down, and tried to get comfortable. No luck. Not even with changing of positions or having more water. I texted my wife to come into the room for a minute. 

I think I'm having a heart attack. 

10 minutes later, we are in the emergency room. She had driven. A neighbor stayed with my kids. A man was speaking with the receptionist, trying to find a friend or relative. I tried to wait for him to finish... but the discomfort had grown unbearable and was not stopping. I interrupted:

Miss, I think I'm having a heart attack. 

Within moments, I was in a bed in the emergency room, being attended to by a male RN whose name I remember, but will not disclose on here because I'm not certain he wants it shared. He gave me a nitroglycerin tab to dissolve under my tongue. Also, I was administered several chewable aspirin tablets. Blood Pressure was 179/105 - HIGH. 

Five minutes passed, and blood pressure was down, but not good - 153 / 99. Another nitroglycerin tab. Another aspirin. Within moments - RELIEF! Blood Pressure down to 117/75 - GOOD! That is closer to my normal. My chest was no longer under severe pressure. 

An EKG was performed and it was inconclusive. My troponin (heart attack enzyme) levels at that moment were mathematically indistinguishable from zero. Something had happened. 

The next morning, I spoke with the doctor. The blood draws at various times throughout the night and morning had indicated sharply rising troponin levels. Heart attack confirmed. The doctor recommended and I consented to a cath scope and repair if necessary. 

Continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.