Tuesday, August 11, 2020

A Decade Later

Not too long ago, I was having a conversation with an Appleseed Red Hat Instructor. The subject matter of that conversation made me think. I was reminded of that conversation more recently, when I was speaking with a student from one of my recent rifle classes.

The Appleseed instructor mentioned that they are the first training class for so many people. The conversation with my student emphasize the fact that this was the student's first training class, as well. Additionally,  The Appleseed instructor with whom I recently spoke had a total of 40 live-fire classes under his belt, 13 of those as an assistant. My most recent class was my 61st as primary instructor.

If you read many of my old entries on this blog, you will see that I was critical of Appleseed at the time. Those criticisms still stand, however, they were meant as constructive criticism then, and that still stands today. Appleseed has changed a little bit, as well they should. However, my opinion is that they probably should not change much more.

While my criticisms were accurate, the spirit in which they were delivered needed adjustment. Looking back as a more seasoned instructor now, I see this so many people who attend an Appleseed are attending their first training class. In my last class, more than half of the students were participating in their first-ever training class. The difference between what my students got, and what Appleseed offers, is that my method is more direct to getting them to the point. I do not get hung up in the antiquated practice of sling shooting.

The arguments in which I participated online, were most likely with people who have never had any other form of training. I did not adequately explain that I came from a position of additional training, as well. These days, I can point that out. However, because I can point out that I have additional training and teaching under my belt, I stick to just broad generalizations - and most of these are positive.

I'm always amazed at how much time and experience will mellow a fellow.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.