Thursday, February 20, 2020

Bad Moms 2

Picking up from last week - where my mom had moved into a Farm House to prevent me from moving there.

I had instructed my dad to not tell her where I lived. I knew she would show up unannounced and try to force us out of that location, as well. She was strange like that. Well, Pops respected that wish for several months. Then he let it slip. We had been at that apartment 3-4 months when there was a knock at the door.

My mom was there, and had brought my grandmother. We let her in and tried to be cordial... but it soon got tense. She wanted to "trade" residences. "Let" me live at the farm house, and pay rent on the apartment where she would live. I told her the landlord would not allow subleasing - but she persisted. I persisted more and she finally left in a huff.

As she was driving off, I met her in the parking lot. She rolled down the window of her car and I told her "do yourself a favor and don't do that again." She played dumb, but I stood my ground.

She showed up a couple more times, but we did not answer the door.

When the 6-month lease was up, we moved. I kept the same home phone number, but did not tell my dad or other family members. We had signed a 1-year lease and we couldn't afford to break it if she found out. My discussion with Pops later was very emotional on both sides. I told him straight up that I could not tell him where I lived because he would just tell her. That understandably hurt his feelings tremendously.

It was a terrible request to have to make of a father.

Fortunately, she would change her target of her insanity. She did that frequently. After the year was up, we moved to Memphis with my job. So we were now too far away for her to just drop by. A year and a half later, my then-job moved us to Nashville, so we were much too far away for her to drop in on. And we thought the problem was solved. A year later, in 2002, we bought our house.

Less than two years later, she bought a house in the Nashville area. More to come on this...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.