Monday, July 8, 2019

Phoney Baloney

I went to the range on Friday, as I had the day off. Moved some optics around and re-zeroed the rifles.  Also performed an accuracy evaluation on some 7.62x39 ammo.  I'd been there a while when a second shooter showed up. 

At first he was hesitant to join me - clearly because he had seen some unsafe gun handling in the past.  After some time, he realized I wasn't going home soon, and that my gun handling is safer than most.  

As is natural, we struck up some conversations that day.  As the topic of choice was guns and training, we had many things to say.  At one point, he told me he served in the Navy as a SeaBee.

Later on in the day, the conversation turned. He stated he had been to and graduated BUD/S. I asked him what class, and he told me that in 1980, there were no BUD/S class numbers.  As the Rifleman used to view a fair amount of  Don Shipley videos, I immediately knew this was not true.  A quick Google search yielded verified SEALs who went to BUD/S class 117 in 1977 and 122 in 1982. 

He also stated that he learned patrolling and CQB in BUD/S. I can guarantee you that he did not. 

Wish I'd gotten his name so I could turn him in to Shipley and watch the fun.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.