Friday, June 21, 2019

Steady Hold

Some myths just won't die.  Recently, the myth of the AR15 magazine monopod causing jams made it's way back into my life.   A former PMI discussed how using the magazine as a rest was strongly discouraged in the USMC.

This blog post shall serve as a reference for this topic.   Here are some links to articles debunking the myth:

 Guns & Ammo

 SWAT Magazine

 Art of The Rifle

 Recoil

The Recoil article has interviews with seven major gun trainers.  Of the seven, all except Paul Howe teach it... and Howe does not teach it for a different reason than you're thinking.  From the article:


"I teach high on the elbows for basic classes.  The why is important.  High elbows allow a shooter to fire slick (no gear), patrol gear/vest, Tac Gear/SWAT Gear and military gear.  In short it is one position that will accommodate all equipment.  I find that when I put ceramic plates on and a vest carrier, I cannot physically get my head low enough to see my sights when I put the magazine on the ground and shoot.  Add a helmet and it becomes even more complicated.


Next, I have never seen it cause a malfunction.  It may change your zero as your head and eye are in a different position as the position may require you to address the weapon differently."

All of the others teach magazine rest.  

Case closed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.