Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Salary Discussions

This article -  30 Things To Never Give An Employer Until They Hire You came across my desk recently.  Yes, I've been asked for all 30 things at one point or another.  An interesting comment from the FB post -

"Seriously, I've worked in HR for over 25 years and have never asked potential employees any of this! However, I do realize that there are some unethical employers out there."

To which I'd say, "some?!?!"

Almost every prospective employer has asked for at least one thing from the list.  And many of these are Fortune 500 companies.  

The most common is probably "2. Information about your salary."

Many interviewers and hiring managers get really caught up in how much you make.  They want to find out, so they can offer you as little as possible - often your same or a slightly lower salary. These hiring influences will obsess over this until you give in.   It's nearly impossible to tell then you won't answer the question without getting yourself disqualified from the recruiting process.  

But there is a way - say this: "I've signed a non-disclosure which includes my salary. I'd love to tell you, but it's not worth the legal headache for me or you."

That shuts them up and shuts them off really fast.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.