Thursday, June 27, 2019

Quick Optics

Inspired by  this post about the speed at which the ACOG can be deployed in close range combat, I offer this anecdote.

Back in the fall, I attended  Rifleman I at Valor Ridge.  One of the questions I struggled with prior to class was whether to run the AimPoint or the ACOG during class. Eventually, I decided on the ACOG.

During the close-range drills, I have no issues with ready ups, double taps, and stoppage drills. My times on these were the fastest in the class, without exception. Every other student was either running a variable power optic, or a red-dot. I was the only one "handicapped" with a fixed power scope.

As was mentioned in the article linked above, I did use the 700-yard hash mark for my aiming point up close. When we did drills at 7 yards, I used the 800 yard hash mark.

All that said, I need to get to the range and do some ready up some practice with both of them. Report forthcoming.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.