Friday, March 8, 2019

Know Who You Work For

Here is a funny story of a "before-and-after."

Before
Several years ago, The Rifleman was searching for a place to hold martial arts classes. Naturally, many different business entities we're call. Local YMCAs, strip malls with space for rent, and even some local churches.

As his natural in business, the primary contact person was not always available at the time of each phone call. Therefore, The Rifleman left messages. As usual, The Rifleman was also expecting phone calls from several clients. No worries, most people will identify themselves.

Most.

Caller: "This is 'Mike,' you called me?"
Rifleman: "Yes, sir. Remind me, who are you with?"

Caller: "Well, you called me. I'm wondering what you want?"
Rifleman: "Yes, sir. I've called many people over the last few days. Tell me, what company do you work for?"

Caller: "well, if you don't know why you called me..."
Rifleman: "Sir, I have called several different people from several different companies for several different reasons. If you could just tell me who you work for, I can tell you why I called you."

Caller: "Well, if you don't know why you called me then I guess I can't help you."

The Rifleman call that number later, only to find out it was one of the strip malls with space for rent. I advised the person who answered the phone to tell their boss that Mike cost them a sale that day because he did not identify who he was with. I told her the story, and she sighed in disgust. It wasn't the first time that had happened.


I can understand the desire for personal privacy. However, if you work for a company, and your job is to sell something for that company, then it is important to identify your company when returning a prospect's phone call.


After
The Rifleman was calling out to several ranges, gun clubs, and other establishments that might be able to host shooting classes. As before, a number of messages had to be left. As before, The Rifleman had several calls out to other clients, as well.

However, the one thing that was not like before is the fact that The Rifleman no longer suffers fools.


Caller: "This is 'Mike,' you called me?"
Rifleman: "Yes, sir. Remind me, who are you with?"

Caller: "Well, you called me. I'm wondering what you want?"
Rifleman: "Yes, sir. I've called many people over the last few days. Tell me, what company do you work for?"

Caller: "well, if you don't know why you called me..."
Rifleman: "So you don't know who you work for?"

Caller: "you called..."
<<interrupted by the Rifleman>>
Rifleman: "My friend, I have placed dozens of calls in the last few days, and have left messages with many of them. I can't begin to tell you how many different things this might be in regards to. I can tell you that if you don't know who you work for you're likely to miss out on some money for your company."

Caller: "Well..."
<<interrupted by the Rifleman>>
Rifleman: "WHO DO YOU WORK FOR? WHAT COMPANY ARE YOU CALLING ME BACK FROM???"

Caller: "I work for ABC range."
Rifleman: "See you there? That wasn't so hard! For future reference, you should say, 'Hi, this is Mike, I work for ABC Range. You had a question?'"
<< The Rifleman continued on with the business request. >>


Good communication skills. They are rare these days.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.