Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Mad Martial Artist

The martial arts has been a source of great enjoyment for The Rifleman through the years. Additionally, the martial arts has been the vehicle which has provided much humor, as well.

Many years ago, I had an ad in the Yellow Pages. As I worked a regular daytime job, I had and answering machine. One evening I came home to a message, and promptly called the person back. It was a woman who was seeking martial arts for her husband. 

Evidently, she had been able to reach another Studio between the time she left me a message and the time I called her back. She seems pretty sold on the other Studio. This is nothing out of the ordinary, nor is it anything unusual. Naturally, I was warm and inviting and advised her that the offer for a free class or two still stands.

Then it got a little weird...

She told me that she was looking for martial arts for her husband, because he would "get so very mad" from time to time. She continued to tell me that her husband, when angry, would just "ball up" and no one could get through to him. She proceeded to tell me that the master at the other Studio was an expert at dealing with this.

How does she know, her husband has never been there!?!?

It was at this point that I realized that not only was this Prospect not going to come to my studio, but that I did not want him to, either. I suggested that if he had such issues with anger, then perhaps a therapist might be a better option for him. At the very least, it should be something to look into in addition to the martial arts.

Then it got even more interesting...

She proceeded to reiterate that they would be going to train with the new Master, and she was certain that that would help her husband and all of his anger issues. She then suggested that I should go study under this master. That perhaps he could help me with my issues. When I inquired what issues I might have that you could help me with, she replied, "oh, whatever you've got going on."

My reply -
"Well, that does it! I'm convinced! I'll start training at XYZ studio right away.  I look forward to meeting your husband on the mat!"

Needless to say,  I did not actually follow through with that.


2 comments:

  1. A prospective new student called for instruction. It became clear that all he was interested in were high speed taxis up and down the runway, a very busy Class C airport at that.

    Being that I'm up for a laugh I inquired further. He said he had several hundred hours of flight time. But when I explained the physics of trying to keep an aircraft on the ground at high speed he said I was lying. Then he offered me more money if I would become his instructor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's funny. Sounds like some scams that tried texting me.

      Delete

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.