Thursday, March 8, 2018

Chain Migration Virtue Signalling

From a "friend of a friend" via social media:

I dare somebody to comment on this post about how bad chain migration is for this country. Or about how easy the immigration process has been for decades in the USA. Or about how we need tougher border agents.

You don't know what it's like until you've been removed from a vehicle while border agents threaten to tear apart the trailer containing all your earthly possessions. You don't know what it's like to wait in an airport with your kid brother while border agents interrogate your mother for hours, making you late for your flight to catch up with your father who is already in the United States. You don't know what it's like to find out that your aunt is being detained for months away from her family.

These are all real things that really happened to me and my pasty white law-abiding Canadian family members during their many years on their way to legal American citizenship.  I can't imagine what it's like for someone from a "s***hole country". And before you say, "but that's what it's like in other countries", I would like to inform you that my father went through the process to become a Canadian citizen, and you would be sorely mistaken.

Feel free to ask me questions and to learn about the actual process and hurdles of immigration from someone who has seen and lived it vs. someone who wants to make it worse. You can even debate the finer points of immigration law with me. But if you are tempted to leave a comment that insults my mother, my brother, or any other human trying desperately to legally obtain citizenship, kindly remove yourself from my friends list. I'm dead serious.

️️

P.S., the 2018 Winter Olympics are almost upon us, so I'll be "Canadian first" for the next month. Fight me.



Some important notes:

- Immigration,  even legally, is not integration. 
- Although it's impossible to determine from this passage, it would appear this person's only dealings are with USA and Canada. That's certainly not all of the "other countries" he mentions. 
- The friend, who shared it, was virtue-signalling in the strongest way. 
- No logical or rational argument was made.  Zero facts were used. 

This is what we are up against. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.