Monday, September 25, 2017

Modern Takedowns

"Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless."
- Bruce Lee

It's important to evaluate and re-evaluate what techniques and tactics you train. The advantage we have these days is the absolute plethora of information. Using MMA as a laboratory, and hence, a template, is a good starting point.

The Pareto Principle - the "80/20 rule"
If we train our top techniques 80% of the time, then what to do with the other 20% of our time? The remaining 20% can also be divided into 80% and 20%. The breakdown would then be 80% - 16% - 4%. An easy way to remember this is 80-15-5.  Spend 80% of your time on primary techniques, 15% of your time on secondary techniques, and 5% of your time on other (tertiary) techniques.

Takedowns used in MMA can vary, but double legs and single legs are the bulk of takedowns attempted and landed. Again, referencing the Pareto Principle, 80% of our time should be spent with these two takedowns, and their setups.

Using self defense as a base, inside trips and rear takedowns would form the secondary techniques for takedowns. Spend 15% of your time training these.

Tertiary takedowns in jiu-jitsu would include classic throws such as hip throw, monkey flip, outside sweep, inner sweep, and the like.


80% of time -
Double leg
Single leg

15% of time -
Inner trips
Rear takedown

5% of time -
Other takedowns
Classic throws

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.