Friday, February 5, 2016

Comfortably Numb

Repeated exposure to something will either numb you to it, or make you overly sensitive to it.

When I was a boy, my mother would use guilt trips on me and my siblings constantly. Ok, when an ordinary person writes that sentence, they mean maybe a total of 20-30 times in their life. My mom would pull a guilt trip 8-10 times per day, every day. So, from casual but conservative estimation: 7 times per day, 365 days per year, and let's only take 1985 - 1992 (from the time I was 10 to the time she moved out of our house when I was 17). I calculate 18,000 or so, not including leap years!

With that level of exposure, one either becomes numb to guilt trips... like my sister and me, or one becomes overly sensitive to them, as  my brother did.

The added side effect was a significant downplay of emotional response to anything. "Just don't give a $h!t" mentality. Actually, just plain don't care, either way.

Now, not having a preference for an outcome does not make one oblivious to said outcome. It just makes it hard for a person to get really worked up (or worked up at all) over something. Add that to the incredibly observant nature I inherited from my dad, and you get something like this blog - a detail of things from a strictly logical point of view.

Of all God's creatures, only man has imagination. There is a logic to nature. Whether a response be one of survival, or one of having no other option, or even one of having no gift of foresight  (a side-effect of imaginative abilities), each creature responds with what logic it does possess.

Except people.

People are the only things on earth that can convince themselves that the sky is not blue, the grass is anything other than green, and such. That's why you have liberals, vegetarians, feminists, and other such groups. I take no joy, nor angst in reporting why and how folks like this are wrong. But make no mistake, as pointed out by a friend, these people "are at perpetual war against biology and human nature, and are therefore bound to lose every time."

I point out why, comfortably numb, so that if and when they seek real change in their lives, they can be pointed in the right direction.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.