Thursday, January 28, 2016

Sudden Headshot

Picture this:
You are patrolling along, and suddenly you notice enemy movement about 200 yards out.

Can you make a head shot in one shot from that range?

For this experiment, I decided to use a couple of parameters. First, I decided to use a cold bore. Second, I wanted to try both 55 grain (M193 clone) ammunition, as well as 75 grain precision match ammunition. Additionally, I wanted to walk around for a few minutes to simulate having been on patrol for a while.

Why 200 yards?
My standard loadout ammunition, as well as that of many other people, is M193 55-grain ammunition. M193 is approximately 4 minute of angle (MOA) ammunition. 4 MOA at 200 yards is approximately 8 inches. 8 inches is approximately the width of the average human head.

Also worthy of note, is that M855 ammunition is also approximately 4 MOA ammo. M855 ammo is another common ammunition for load outs.

The Range.
For this evaluation, I did not have access to a 200 yard range. I was at a 100 yard range. Therefore, I used a half size target. A half size target at 100 yards is approximately equal to a regular sized target at 200 yards.

Caveat: both M193 and 75 - grain match ammunition will drop approximately 2 inches from 100 yards to 200 yards.

The Rifle.
For this experiment, I used my SPR rifle. It features an 18" match grade barrel from White Oak Armory. It also has a nice trigger from Gissele. My SPR currently wears an ACOG - TA31F. Therefore, I was using 4x magnification.

Note: with this setup, the point of impact for both M193 and 75 - grain match ammunition is the underside of the ACOG's  chevron reticle. Because the actual distance these shots took place from was 100 yards, I intentionally used the top point of the ACOG chevron reticle. Had the shot been taken from 200 yards, the underside of the reticle would have been used.

First, I shot the 55-grain M193 ammunition.
I walked around with a rucksack and the rifle for 10 minutes. In a sudden movement, I took a prone position, rested my rifle on the rucksack, and quickly took a shot on the target. From first contact to the shot was approximately 5 seconds.

You can see the result. The target was hit in the head region - a little low and to its left (our right).

75 - grain match ammunition results.
Next, I let the barrel cool for 10 minutes. All the while I walked around. At some point in time, a few minutes after the 10 minutes had expired, I initiated contact again. Again, I dropped to the ground, rested my rifle on the rucksack, and took a shot - this time with 75 grain ammunition.

Again, you can see the result. Dead center, maybe a tad low.

Conclusion.
If you are on patrol, and see an enemy 200 yards out, can you take and make the shot? Keep in mind, that the shot may not need to be taken at all. But if circumstances dictate taking the shot, can you make it?

More likely than not, your rifle and ammunition combination is capable of making the shot. So the question is, are you???

Train hard. Train smart.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.