Friday, January 29, 2016

Ammo Review

For review today, we have Federal American Eagle 50-grain varmint tipped ammunition. In my area, this can be purchased at Walmart and Academy. It usually costs about $10.99 per box of 20. My M16A4 rifle loves this stuff.

For this evaluation, I shot a 5 shot group from 50 yards. You can see the results in the pictures above.

SPR
This rifle features and 18-inch White Oak Armory barrel. It might be my most accurate rifle. However, the twist was 1:7. I used a 14x scope to make the shot. Clearly, this rifle does not like this ammunition. Perhaps it is the twist rate.

SDMR
This rifle features a 20 inch heavy barrel from Model 1 Sales, with a 1:8 twist. As you can see, this rifle did like this ammunition. This group is almost as tight as I got with my M16A4. I used a 14 x scope with this rifle, as well.

M4
This rifle features a 14.5 inch barrel with a pinned 1.5 inch flash hider. It is cut in an M4 profile. Unlike the other two rifles today, this rifle is not free floated. Also, I did not have a scope on this rifle. I shot this group with a red dot.

Conclusion.
If you had told me beforehand that I would shoot a better group with an M4 than with my SPR using a 14x scope, I would have written you off as crazy. However, that is exactly what happened.

The lesson here is that some rifles like some ammunitions, and some rifles do not like certain ammunition. Always test your ammunition with your rifle.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.