Monday, December 28, 2015

The Force Awakens Review

For those who care, this post will have spoilers.
SPOILER ALERT!


I saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens with my family on opening night. It was a fun movie. Probably about the most entertaining movie of 2015. It WAS the first Star Wars movie my children had seen in a theater. Here are some of my random thoughts on it:

Yes, there was a sense of feminist propaganda in it. Find me a movie these days that doesn't feature that. I took it as an opportunity to teach my kids about what's realistic. If you feel the movie shouldn't be seen because of the feminist BS (at least two major manosphere blogs denounced the movie for same), then why overlook the fact that so much more of the movie is BS - lightsabers, the Force, FTL space travel, laser guns, etc., etc., etc.

The reason I go to see a movie is to be entertained. One thing I find entertaining is to see something I don't see every day.  This movie does that.

It was slightly troublesome that a Force initiate was somehow able to hone Force abilities that it took Jedi years of training to accomplish. But the plot hole was needed to move the story forward in the direction it's going.

Kylo Ren - one minute he's a badass, the next, he loses command of the force with only minor distraction. I can forgive him losing command of the Force after stabbing his father, Han Solo. That has to be an emotional moment for anyone. Further, I can see him losing some command of the Force to anticipate Chewie's blaster bolt. Then he's injured, so I can buy it that the injury distracts him some... but not as much as it did. A stormtrooper shouldn't have cracked his defenses in a sword battle. A Force initiate shouldn't have had more power in the Force. There's no way Rey should have bested him in a duel (hello - Luke vs. Vader 1).

Abrams stuck with x-wings for the default good guy ships. I like that. You immediately knew which ships were good and which were bad in a fast moving fight scene.

Don't piss off a wookie. Accurate depiction in my mind of what would happen if you did.

I suspect Luke is Rey's father. If not, she is Han and Leia's daughter. Failing that, she is Obi-Wan Kenobi's granddaughter.

I really didn't like that Kylo Ren's lightsaber didn't have crisp edges. I know the intent was to give it a flaming, edgy look. Just not my favorite. It needed to be crisp like other sabers.

Predictions:
- Captain Phasma has a greater role in the next movie.
- Snoke is really a small creature, not 3 stories tall.
- The series culminates with a lightsaber battle of Luke & Leia & Rey vs. Kylo Ren & Snoke.
- The Millennium Falcon gets destroyed... but a new (similar) ship is introduced.

1 comment:

  1. I am 99% sure Luke is Rey's father. And there will be a showdown between her & Kylo Ren in the final film.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.