Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Worth Watching

Unless you've been living in a cave, you've probably heard the song Watch Me. Among the lyrics -

Watch me whip.
Now watch me nae nae.

True to the name of the song, the words "watch me" appear in the song 77 times, according to A-Z Lyrics.

And that's a big problem in our society today. Had I incessantly said "watch me" more than about twice growing up, I'd have had a belt upside my head. Children were expected to entertain themselves - not require adults to entertain them.

The other side of the coin that is problematic is the fact that for all this watching, there's not a bit of it that's worthwhile. When I was a child, if you wanted someone to watch you, then it was up to you to be worth watching.

That meant, acquiring a skill. And that's something sorely lacking these days in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.