Friday, December 26, 2014

How Do You Do It?

I mentioned earlier this week that several years back, I was much heavier (over 100 pounds heavier), and diabetic.

Three years ago, I was almost 40 pounds heavier than I am today, and was on diabetic medication- 5 mg of glyburide and 2000 mg of metformin per day. Usually, about three to four hours after taking the glyburide, my BG levels would crash into the 60's. It was an unpleasant feeling to say the least. The metformin caused "intestinal distress" (read: extreme daily diarrhea).

Note: Now that my fasting BG readings regularly hit the 60's without medications, it feels totally different!

Today, it has been almost a year since my last metformin pill. Almost two since my last regular dose of glyburide. My BG levels are lower than they ever were when I was medicated. A paleo approach has done the trick again.

Note: Funny... you NEVER hear about diet & exercise working when the diet includes grains - "healthy whole grains" or otherwise! 

How to do all this?
Here's how I did it:
- Ate fatty meats and green leafy vegetables only until your BG numbers stabilize.
- Practices intermittent fasting.
- Once BG numbers stabilized, kept on a very low carb diet - as in, the only carbs I got came in the form of whole vegetables.

These steps will cause weight loss to accelerate, and insulin and BG levels will return to normal.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.