Friday, November 21, 2014

Range Day

The other day, I had an opportunity to go to the range and shoot my M16A4 clone rifle. Got a pretty good zero at 25 yards, and then went to 100 yards and shot this on a 50/200 setting. Was aiming for the middle of the neck at the same level of the shoulders. Group appears an inch high (as it should be with the setting) and about an inch to the left.  



After shooting that group, I adjusted the windage by two clicks, then verified my zero. Dead on. Also verified with the 100-yard setting. Again, dead on. All of this was with iron sights. 



Funny story: there was a couple there sighting in the wife's .243 bolt gun at 50 yards, and the husband's black powder rifle (also at 50 yards). They were all over the place at that distance, yet thought they were right on the money. The wife kept talking about the wind blowing the bullets "off a bit." 

At 50 yards, a .243 bullet (100 grains / .214 bc / 3100 fps) would deflect a full inch in 15 mph winds... a vigorous thunderstorm. However, an inch of deflection would not explain shots 15: apart and farther. Oh, and neither could hit 12" targets with my rifle with irons. She said her "groups" were similar to what she shot in the Air Force. Asked if my gun was zeroed. I showed her my (above) target at 100)... and she said "looks like it."

Guess the deer will be safe from them this fall. 


,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.