Kyle's book American Sniper detailed an "altercation" that supposedly happened some time ago between Kyle and "Scruff Face." Later, Kyle identified "Scruff Face" as being Ventura. Ventura sued Kyle for defamation.
I've seen a lot of vitriol on one side of this case, and wanted to lay out some facts here. (And, for the record, I have read the book - it was entertaining)
- It was determined by the court that Ventura was nowhere near the location at the date and time of the supposed altercation.
- It was determined by the court that the altercation never took place.
- It was determined by the court that Ventura had never publicly made the comments Kyle alleged.
- Those who testified on behalf of Kyle did not have corroborating stories. If anything, their testimony damaged one another's.
- Ventura did not sue Kyle's widow.
- Ventura sued Kyle. Unfortunately, Kyle was murdered while the suit was underway.
- The revenue stream being sued was from the sale of Kyle's book - which did not taper off with Kyle's death.
- The $1.8 million in total damages were against an estimated estate of $6 million.
So how much does it cost to say you punched out a man you never touched?
With estimated legal fees, the answer would be about 35%.