Monday, September 16, 2013

This is My Rifle, This is My Gun

I get asked a LOT what my go-to gun is for SHTF situations. Typically, on this blog, I've gone the route of explaining advantages to major or otherwise common setups. However, for this one article, I'll break with tradition and give you an idea of what you'd see me carrying if you survived the first day of the apocalypse.

RIFLE
I like a lot of platforms. The AR15 is clearly my choice for a number of reasons. Of the different AR15 configurations, my #1 choice is the RECCE style setup. It combines the length and maneuverability of the M4 with the accuracy of a NRA highpower rifle. Here is is:



The rifle has been outfitted with:
- an RRA match grade trigger
- a 12" LaRue quad rail
- 16" SS barrel from Black Hole Weaponry
- Magpul furniture
- ACOG (with LaRue quick detach mount)

The ACOG is one of many choices in optics. The reason I went with the ACOG on my RECCE, as opposed to keeping it on my M16A4 clone is simple... the ACOG I have (TA31F) was calibrated for the 16" barrel. The ACOG also can be used as a red dot with the BAC method, and can similarly be used as a low power spotting scope.

Here's how it shoots (all groups were shot at 100 yards):




AMMO
I have primarily stocked up on some M193 clone ammo. This offers higher probability of fragmentation than M855, and is less expensive. I also carry some Hornady 75-grain match ammo for long range shots. Its trajectory matches up with the ACOG within reasonable limits.

PISTOL
GLOCK 19  (9mm). Simple, effective, and just a tool. Nothing fancy at all on this, as it will never be my primary weapon. I might change to a G17 soon, as it is larger, and has superior capacity.

TOOLS
Swiss Army knife, multi-tool, flashlight, rope, and several other reasonable and ordinary tools find themselves in my bag. I have multiple copies of all of these things.

BACKUP RIFLE
M16A4. If I have the money, I might one day build another RECCE to take its place. Here is the A4:




.

1 comment:

  1. Nice thread. Your m16 clone kinda reminds me of this guy on YouTube "the armed defender". I like his channel. Pretty cool dude!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.