Saturday, August 17, 2013

So You Think You Can Dance?

Many times, as the teacher of a martial arts studio, people want to test their skill. Often, they will say they want to test *your* skill ("you" being the instructor). Heck, I've even been threatened via email from a blog reader: "anytime your b***h a** gets to feeling froggy, jump the f**k over."

One problem with all that: I have thousands of hours on the mat, sparring against all sorts of people of all sorts of skill levels. I've been beaten 15 ways from Sunday by skilled practitioners, and I've returned the favor to others.

There is no substitute for experience, and even though in a real fight anything *can* happen, 99.87% of the time, the better trained person emerges victorious. And when an untrained person is involved, it is most often VERY one-sided. 

Here is a video of some "self taught" fighters sparring an actual black belt in jiu-jitsu.Observe how one-sided it is:
Click to watch video.

There is one main difference between me and the black belt in that video, aside from our jiu-jitsu lineage: I am much larger and stronger than he is. Mr. Lovi is 5'8" and ~155 pounds. I go about 6'2" and 220 pounds. Therefore, I'd be on top of you most of the time. You would feel smothered. You would feel hopeless. You would feel helpless.

And if you came in for classes, I'd show you how to do everything I know. And you would have a prime opportunity to get better. And in a few years, you might even be able to make me tap.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.