Thursday, August 29, 2013

Small Annoyances

In July, I went on vacation to the Orlando area. Whilst there, I visited my good friends, Bill Holland and Jimmy Jackson. Link to their dojo here. They asked me to teach jiu-jitsu to their kids and adults classes, and I obliged.

On Monday evening, we went out to dinner after class. Bill introduced me to the wait staff at the local dive where he is a regular. Upon introduction, he referred to me as "Master Recce Rifleman."

I cannot stand the use of Japanese rank terms outside the dojo.
The only thing worse is to call me (or another person) "master" or the like.

"Mr. or Mrs./Miss [XYZ]" is always preferable, if one is not on a first name basis.
My friends know they can introduce me on a first name basis. I do not take myself that seriously.

The reason they did this, though, is that there are some martial arts "masters" that would get quite offended if not referred to "properly." Funny thing, we are all in America. To introduce someone as "Mr. / Mrs. / Miss" here is quite proper.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.