Friday, August 30, 2013

Growing Up

Over the years, when one is teaching martial arts, some young students manage to stay with the art as they grow up. This leads to funny situations... especially among artists where there is a formal relationship as opposed to a closer personal relationship.

I, for one, prefer to be addressed by first name. My karate instructor, John Suarez, is this way as well. When I reconnected with him thanks to the internet back in 2005, and he insisted I call him John. That was weird for a while. As a youth, I'd referred to him as "Sensei" or "Mr. Suarez," and I found I was used to those terms. It was difficult to change.

I insist that others, when they are either A) black belts and/or B) age 18 or over, must call me by my first name. Especially when we are away from the dojo. It is more weird to be called Sensei by a grown adult out in a mall or something.

A former student of mine turned 18 last October. She had a bit of difficulty switching over, as had her two older sisters in years past. Similarly, one of Bill Holland's students, who is 2nd Dan in Karate and is now age 18 has had a bit of adjustment. I think it takes some people off guard a bit.

Still, I do not take myself too seriously - it is much more acceptable to be on a first name basis with friends.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.