Wednesday, June 12, 2013

A Study on Exegesis

As I enjoy debating the merits of Calvinism and Arminianism with Calvinists, occasionally, some like to question my exegesis (fancy word for translation and/or interpretation) of Biblical verses or passages. Sometimes I humor them and sometimes I do not have the time. I cannot claim to be any sort of expert - especially since I do not speak Greek and must rely on online sources. Nevertheless, I exegete as accurately as possible at all times.

Some people, though, are more renown than others. Here is a link to a 12-page document on the Biblical meaning of predestination - particularly as it relates to Calvinist claims of God predestining whom will be saved vs. "Arminian" claims of God predestining eternal life to those who choose Him.

The author, F. Furman Kearley, follows the five basic principles of exegesis in his work. Not surprisingly, the result is not favorable to the Calvinist viewpoint. Ironically, the methods used are extremely similar to those of John Wesley, as he converted his belief system to Biblical "Arminianism" from Calvinist.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.