Thursday, May 30, 2013

I need your help!

Seriously, I need help from my readers. I had an email asking what are the true verses to the old Irish folk song: "Whiskey in the Jar." Here are the closest to the original verses that I've been able to ascertain. However, there are some verses that some use, and other verses used by other performers.

(Note: the chorus is typically sung between each verse, and sometimes twice)

As I was a goin' over the far famed Kerry mountains
I met with captain Farrell and his money he was counting
I first produced my pistol and I then produced my rapier
Saying "Stand and deliver" for you are a bold deceiver

I counted out his money and it was a pretty penny
I put it in me pocket and I took it home to Jenny
She sighed and she swore that she never would deceive me
But the devil take the women for they never can be easy

I went up to my chamber, all for to take a slumber
I dreamt of gold and jewels and for sure 'twas a wonder
But Jenny took me charges and she filled them up with water
Then sent for captain Farrell to be ready for the slaughter

'Twas early in the morning, just before I rose to travel
Up comes a band of footmen and likewise captain Farrell
I first produced me pistol for my rapier she had stolen
I couldn't shoot the water, so a prisoner I was taken

Now there's some take delight in the carriages a rolling
and others take delight in the hurling and the bowling
but I take delight in the juice of the barley
and courting pretty fair maids in the morning bright and early

If anyone can aid me 'tis my brother in the army
If I can find his station in Cork or in Killarney
And if he'll go with me, we'll go rovin' through Killkenny
And I'm sure he'll treat me better than my own a-sporting Jenny

Chorus:
Mush-a ring dum-a do dum-a da
Wack fall the daddy-o, wack fall the daddy-o
There's whiskey in the jar


Alternate verse?
(substitute for the fourth verse listed above)
This verse seems to only be found with the Grateful Dead version, and one other, but I am not certain.
Is this a real part of it, or was it simply added in by the 'Dead?

They put me in jail without a judge or jury
For robbing Colonel Pepper [Captain Farrell] in the morning so early
They didn't take my fist so I knocked down the sentry
And I bid a long farewell to that cold penitentiary



Chorus Translation
I have found, from various sources, that the nonsensical part of the chorus really translates into something that makes sense, when spoken in the old Irish (possibly Gaelic):
"Mush-a ring dum-a do dum-a da" in the old language is possibly translated as such:
"M'uishe rinne me don amada." - "My whiskey made a fool of me."
Certainly seems to fit. What say you?

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.