Thursday, March 7, 2013

Good News - Outstanding Source

My son recently earned his red belt in Olympic style Taekwondo from Mr. Smith at Spirit Marital Arts. Ironically enough, not long ago, Mr. Smith earned his 5th Dan black belt in same. That said, my son, as well as some other boys at the Dojang are nearing black belt level. One is a brown belt, two are red belts, and one is at the "last" step - red belt with black stripe.

There was a problem looming, according to Mr. Smith. I agree 100% with him on his analysis. Though Olympic TKD allows for youthful black belts as it is part of the sport, Mr. Smith clings (bitterly? - lol) to the notion that a black belt means a little more than proficiency in an athletic endeavor.

The problem is immaturity. 

Of the handful of boys at or near the same rank, my son is but 8 years old. He would turn 9 just before the black belt test, though. All of the other boys in question are older. Therein lies the problem. Each of the older boys demonstrates a deeper level of emotional immaturity.

Whether it be manifest through crying when things do not go their way in a sparring bout or forms contest, or through inability to actually tie one's own belt, or through immature behavior toward one's parents, or even through avoiding sparring night so as not to have to participate in the light contact; they have all shown that while the skills are there, the mind and emotions need to ripen more.

The funny thing is I overheard Mr. Smith speaking to another person about my son, and saying my son does not have these issues, despite being the youngest in this group. The funnier thing is that I would not permit my son to exhibit these emotional issues.

Nevertheless, he is but 8 years old. 

So Mr. Smith reluctantly decided to add back in the poom belt. In Taekwondo, the poom belt is half red and half black. It is awarded to youthful participants who demonstrate black belt skill levels, but who are not yet mature enough to wear a black belt.

Mr. Smith was worried. He feared I would feel betrayed at the lengthening of my son's time to black belt. He feared that he was punishing the child who did not deserve it. He feared my son would lose interest and no longer wish to participate.

Despite being only 8, my son is made of sterner stuff. 

Being a black belt myself, there was no way I would disagree with Mr. Smith publicly, even if I held a different opinion. It is his Dojang, and he has every right to run it the way he wishes. Similarly, I do not promote kids to black belt. I suppose if there was a talented 14-15 year-old, I might consider it, but that hasn't happened yet.

In other words, we are on the same page. 


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.