Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Movie Review: Karate Kid I & II

For today's review, I will take note of the movies The Karate Kid and The Karate Kid II.

I had seen both of these many times as a kid. We had them both on tape. At the time, I liked the second one a bit better. Well, I watched both through entirely recently... probably the first time in fifteen or more years... and had some thoughts on them.

The Karate Kid
This movie is far better than the second. Now I know why it was nominated for several awards and the second was not. The acting was far better. The score was much better. The directing and production was better. The plot was far more original.

I really wish learning the martial arts was as easy as Miyagi made it look!


The Karate Kid II
As a child, I liked this one a bit better. Had more fights. However, a few things turned me off to this one as an adult.

1. Miyagi turns into some sort of peacenik. Seriously, I can understand (and personally, I do adopt) an attitude of nonviolence, but Miyagi goes leftist in this movie. Also, he has a few too many "wise" quotes. It was just overkill.

2. How did Chozen get hurt by the drum technique? Seriously, it is a block. No strike was ever shown while Daniel used the drum technique. However, Chozen's cheeks mysteriously sustain damage and get bloodied.

3. Six blocks of ice??? Strength does come into play in breaking - and outside-to-inside breaks are very difficult. Come on.

4. The musical score was a bit off in this one. Didn't flow like the first one.

Still, it was fun. But the first was superior all the way around.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.