Thursday, October 11, 2012

Something for nothing

Some time ago, I was teaching a few private martial arts lessons in my home. I had one student, who although timely with payments, I knew was facing financial hardships.

Then it happened.

They came to class one evening, with no payment for that month. I taught the class (thinking payment was simply forgotten and would come next time). The process repeated itself the following class.

Uh-oh.

I gave a gentle reminder that payment is due in advance. This yielded one of the most interesting responses I've ever had:

Student: "I have filed bankruptcy. All of my debts are now voided by the court."

Me: "Since this is not an indebtedness, but rather a 'pay-in-advance' situation, a bankruptcy on your part does not affect the fact that you will need to pay for classes here in advance."

Student: "No. My lawyer said all debt was covered, including my classes here. So you have to teach me, and I do not have to pay."

Me: "Well then, it would seem last Monday's class was for free. But no more."

I walked to the side, sat down, and refused to teach for free. The "student" - shocked - eventually tried to talk me into teaching, but realized I wouldn't teach for free. He did leave after a while.


.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm this may not be approved but it's no mystery to me that this student is bankrupt a fool and his money are soon parted.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.