Friday, September 28, 2012

Speak in English when you're talkin to me!

In the mid 1990's, I taught karate at the North River YMCA in Hixson, TN. At one point, I had a very interesting conversation with one of the students (sorry - I have long since forgotten his name). He was a smart kid - about 11 or 12 years old.

We were talking before class one night, and he mentioned something he saw on TV:

Student: "Yeah. I saw it on Boiwerhfosdfkjsdbakflbjalkasdnklf."

Me: "You saw it on what?"

Student: "Billerhfosdfkjsdbakflbjalkasdnklf."


Me: "I'm sorry, didn't come through on the universal translator."

Student: (emphatically) "BillNyesdfkjsdbakflbjalkasdnklf."

Me: (to his sister) "Do you know what he's trying to say?"

Sister: "Nope."

Class begins a bit later. Then ends. The student speaks to his mom when she picks them up. She comes over to me to translate...

Student's Mom: "I think what [junior] was trying to say was Bill Nye the Science Guy."

Me: "Oh. Who is that?"


-----

Of course, I learned who Bill Nye was shortly thereafter.
Now, I know exactly who he is.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.