Monday, August 13, 2012

Odd conversation

This happened many years ago when I was working in the car rental field. Back in the '90's, when a renter wanted to rent without a credit card, they would have to:
A) Fill out a cash qualification form.
B) Bring two utility bills in their name, to their address. Bills had to be recent and not past-due.
C) Pay a deposit equal to the amount of the rental, plus a $150 security deposit.

I'm not sure how it is done these days, or even if it is done. But this is how it was done then.

A renter walked in, and asked for a rental car which he had reserved using the 800 number for reservations. My coworker started helping the man. I was the manager on duty at the time. The conversation was pretty short:

Coworker: "May I please see your driver's license and credit card?"

Renter: "I don't have a credit card. I am paying in cash."

Coworker: "OK. We can do that. Please fill out this cash qualification form and..."

Renter interrupts

Renter: "No way! You just want me to do that because I am black! I'm not going to stand for this!!!"

Me: "Yeah, that's it. Tony here had a moment of clairvoyance this morning and knew you were coming in and that you were black. So, just for you, he decided to pre-print this standardized form. Just so you would be somehow discriminated against."

Renter: speechless.

Me: "Now. Would you like to try that again. This time without the baseless allegations?"


FYI:
The renter left, not having any cash with him with which to rent the car.
He stated he had no bills in his name to his address.
He also did not have a valid driver's license.


Oh... and he had told the folks at the reservation hotline that he would secure the rental with a Visa card.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.