Friday, August 31, 2012

No Question

I read the following at my mother's funeral on Monday, August 27, 2012 at about 2:30 pm:



Anybody who knew my mom knows she was stubborn. Today, in corporate America, we call that determination. Being resolute. It is a trait that is highly sought after.

Anybody who knew my mom knows she was generous - to a fault. She is the only person I ever have known that literally would have given the shirt off her back... not just a figure of speech here. Because of this, she lived in what many Americans would call "poverty." But that was her choice. She would have had it no other way.  And truly, it was only poverty in terms of dollars - never in terms of heavenly treasures. 

My mom liked Elvis. Elvis once covered a song that Frank Sinatra made popular: "My Way." An observer might say this was true of my mom. This would be, however, an inaccurate statement. My mom lived as God would have her live. She never did anything without consulting scripture and the counsel of other believers. 

Even if she didn't always take the advice her family and friends had to give.

Anybody who knew my mom knows she is a believer. There are some people that when they pass you secretly hope inside that they had accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior. My mom is not one of those. She wore her Savior on her sleeve.

Luke 10: 25-28.
A legal expert stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he said, “what must I do to gain eternal life?” 
Jesus replied, “What is written in the Law? How do you interpret it?” 
He responded, “You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your being, with all your strength, and with all your mind, and love your neighbor as yourself.”
Jesus said to him, “You have answered correctly. Do this and you will live.” 

 I've never met anyone who loved Christ more than my mom.

I've never met anyone who showed more love for her neighbor than my mom. 

We would all do well to learn from her. 


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.