Monday, May 21, 2012

Gun review - M1 (Garand)

A couple of years ago, I bought an M1 (Garand) from the CMP. From this link, I ordered a Service Grade, and it was and still is a nice rifle.



Cost was (at the time) $595 for the rifle, and I also ordered $96 worth of ammo. Add in shipping, club membership, and the total was $714. I understand the rifles are about $100 more these days. Still worth it - especially if you have seen M1 prices at gun shows or gun shops (usually over $1000).



One of my favorite features of the rifle are the peep sights. Adjustable in increments of 1 MOA (approximately 1" at 100 yards) for elevation and windage, you can dial in pretty accurately. There are hash marks on the elevation which are designed to put you on target at given ranges (100-yard increments to over 1000 yards). While the vaunted .30-06 round is certainly capable at 1000 yards, the real aimed combat effectiveness of this rifle is about 500 yards with an expert shooter using iron sights.



The rifle features an internal magazine which is fed via the famous en-bloc clip. This provides the shooter with 8 rounds of the venerable .30-06 cartridge. After firing the final round, the shooter is entertained with the famous "ping" sound. Hint: If you really like the "ping" - you should load a single round with the clip. Then you get a "ping" every time.



As expected, this is a rifleman's rifle. Capable of 2 MOA accuracy with good ammo, and well under 4 MOA with standard surplus ammo. Speaking of accuracy and precision, of course, my rifle wears the classic USGI sling, as do I when I shoot it. Also, it really just goes hand-in-hand with a USMC shooting jacket. So I use just such a jacket from the nice people at Made by Mcron. Really good folks, and the jacket is really top-notch!







Some say the M1 is heavy. I say it is well-balanced. They ring in at just under 12 pounds loaded, which can be a lot if you don't know how to hold one. So get some basic instruction, learn your positions, and then shoot your M1 to your heart's content.


I've never let anybody shoot this rifle who didn't immediately sport a wide grin just after firing. It has recoil, but really no more than your typical AK47 or SKS or .30-30. It's about as accurate as the bolt-action rifles of its day. It is immensely reliable. It is not easy to clean or disassemble.

So where does it rank? I'm glad I have one, but it is not my first choice in a "SHTF" scenario. I keep one around though, as it is useful and fun and really a piece of history.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.