Saturday, May 5, 2012

Gluttony, anyone?

So I was recently made curious about the nutrition facts on simple cookies. Particularly, how bad is it to eat an entire package of cookies in a single setting? For this fact-finding mission, I used published information on Oreo cookies... because that's what was eaten.


Let's do some math:
Calories: 160 per serving.
Per the publication, there are 15 servings in a package; so a total of 2400 calories.
That's 120% of recommended Daily Value (DV), based on a 2000-calorie diet.

Total fat: 7g; 11% of DV.
For 15 servings; that's 105g or 165% of DV.

Saturated fat: 2g; 10% of DV
For 15 servings, that's 30g, or 150% of DV

Sugars: 14g; (there is no DV% published, as a diabetic, I try to stay under 40g per day, so this would be 35%).
For 15 servings, that's 210g; over 5 days' worth of sugar for me.


Summary:
Folks, don't eat large quantities of junk like this. I did in younger days, and I have no doubt it was a major contributing factor to my current diabetic condition. There are major consequences to be paid for a lack of self control.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.