Friday, March 16, 2012

Can't make up his mind

Another gem from my recent day spent watching chancery court, waiting on my brother's divorce hearing.

-----

Defendant's attorney: "Your Honor, I was only recently hired by my client. I would like to motion to have a stay so that I may familiarize myself with the facts of the case so far. "

Plaintiff's attorney: "Your Honor, the defendant, who is not present today, has hired no fewer than three attorneys during the course of this case - Counsel Jones* here being the most recent. I move that the stay not be granted, as pursuant to Tennessee Code Annotated, it is the defendant's responsibility to provide for his counsel the documents and facts from the case."

Defendant's attorney: "Your honor, I would like to ask for only 8 weeks to familiarize myself with the facts. Nothing more."

Plaintiff's attorney: "And in response, I'd like to point out that the case set to hear in 10 days is about the defendant not paying a dime of the child support that Your Honor ordered him to pay 15 months ago! Nor has he paid my client's reasonable attorney's fees, as Your Honor Ordered. Nor has he paid any of his own attorney's fees - which is why he keeps having to get new attorneys!"

Defendant's attorney: "Not gonna argue that one, Your Honor!"

Judge: "Motion denied. Case in ten days. Counsel, have your client give you the facts on the case. Or see if you can get some from the other attorney here today, because I have a feeling your client may not be responsible enough to actually keep up with them."


* Name changed




*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.