Sunday, February 19, 2012

TKD moms

Last weekend, my son attended the Winter Battle. Well, there was at least one funny thing that happened. During his second match, my son was going strong as his opponent tired. Of course, I was cheering from the side, along with my dad and sister.

As his opponent tired, his defenses dropped. As his defenses dropped, Cael's coach started calling for a head-kick. I followed suit. Head kicks (permitted with light contact only to the helmet) score two points as opposed to a single point scored from hogu kicks.

The other boy's mother was sitting next to us. She called out, with obvious annoyance: "There's no call for that. These boys are seven years old."

"Well within the rules, ma'am." I responded quickly.

"Well there's no need when you are leading 9-2."


(in fact, my son was leading 9-2 at that moment... but he hadn't been prior to that flurry - when I'd called out)

So, I decided to take the high road. I waited several 20 minutes or so... after my son won his subsequent match. At that point, I approached the mom of the other boy.

"I beg your pardon, ma'am," I said. "Seems we got started out on the wrong foot. My name is [Usagi] and I currently hold a 6th degree black belt. When our sons were competing, your son dropped his defenses, so I called for a head kick. You see, head kicks score two points instead of just one. There is no danger, as the kicks must be delivered with control and light contact only. It is basic strategy of Olympic-style Taekwondo.

"Understand, I was not cheering on for harm to your boy," I continued. "Much the opposite, I was calling for good strategy. I'm sure, since your son is a green belt, his Sabumnim, advocates simple strategy like that, too. Along with sidestep and counter-kick, as well as body-body-head, and kick on separation, no?"

She stood there, mouth agape. Clearly, she was unsure of what to say.

"Well, better luck to him at your next tournament." I said with a smile.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.