Saturday, December 31, 2011

Year in review - 2011

This year has been a surprising one. As with every year, there have been ups and downs. I think the ups have outweighed the downs.

Best:
My nomination for best movie of the year (and I did not see all of them) - Battle LA.
Of course, I liked it for all the M16A4 goodness.
Honorable mention to Muppets.

My nomination for Recession buster of the year is my brother. He clocked $100K more in earnings this year compared to his earnings in 2007. And in 2007, he was above the Tennessee state average. Oh, and he pretty much doubled his earnings from last year.
Not surprisingly, he did not luck out - he busted his buns.

My nomination for best thing of the year overall is reduced ammo prices. I am buying .223 ammo for $5.88 per box of 20, compared to over $12 per same box just two years ago.

My nomination for proudest moment of the year is my son: he is in 1st grade, and is reading on a 4th grade level. In fact, his AR books (not to be confused with the gun of the same name) must all be selected from 3rd and 4th grade levels.

My nomination for heart-warming moment of the year came courtesy of the US Navy SEALs. Oh, and for those that still doubt, it seems the 5.56 mm round did just fine.

My nomination for best entertainment of the year is the TV show: "The Walking Dead."
The wife and I are glued to that.


Worst:
As often happens, we lost many people of note. Some stories were sadder than others.
Of course, my own grandmother died in July, and that had me down for over a month.

I was reminded first hand of my self-imposed rule to avoid getting involved in "teh crazy."
That's a good guideline for anybody, by the way.
But, just as the mythological phoenix rose from the ashes, some of these interactions sparked my new favorite blog topic.

1 comment:

  1. Would you list your wife figuring out some of your online trysts as a best or worst of the year? And you never did answer my question as to how she'd react if she knew everything. Oh, and as far as your crack about my heart being far from Christ, well, since I haven't been to church since my Grandma died when I was 12, I don't remember claiming to be. But apparently my comment did strike a nerve, eh?

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.